Friday, January 8, 2010

H&M and Walmart - REALLY?????

I wasn't planning to write today, but I saw this New York times article featured on yahoo this morning, and my mouth dropped to the floor.

Here's an excerpt:
At the back entrance on 35th Street, awaiting trash haulers, were bags of garments that appear to have never been worn. And to make sure that they never would be worn or sold, someone had slashed most of them with box cutters or razors, a familiar sight outside H & M’s back door.

Please read it, http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/06/nyregion/06about.html

I don't think I need to comment on it. It speaks for itself. I am just so saddened to learn that major cooperations would choose to spend their time making clothes/shoes unusable than to reach out to a poverished city that needs them more than ever.

-Courtney


2 comments:

  1. unbelievable article. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Court... Thanks for sharing this article. It makes me sick to think that big-name retailers would go to such pains to destroy clothing that could be utilized by so many people. It's an outrage. A waste of resources. And yet another reason not to shop at Walmart! The worst part is that a donation campaign for these items would be a great form of community outreach for these companies, not to mention good PR. ~Stacey

    ReplyDelete