Saturday, January 23, 2010

First-Time Homeowners


It’s official… Brian and I are homeowners!

Don’t worry, this isn’t some newly constructed McMansion… no, we purchased a used home. Used, most recently by us as renters for the past four years. Before that, it was used by my Grandparents for over 50 years. (It’s the very house where they raised my mother and her five siblings). Prior to my grandparents, the house was used by a family named McGinnis who left Pittsburgh for sunny Florida after only eight snowy winters. And, from what I can piece together, the home’s original owners sold the house after an ugly and scandalous (for those days anyway) divorce.

Needless to say… the home’s history is palpable.

But, as with any used home - as charming as its story may be, it comes with countless possibilities for updates and improvements.

Here’s our list:
• Pull up carpet and install wood floors on the first floor
• painting (first floor)
• replace windows
• replace exterior siding
• update bathroom
• remodel kitchen
• exterior landscaping

Which brings me to the question at the center of this post:

Do home improvements count as new purchases?

Can we install new floors? If so, does it have to be reclaimed wood? What about painting? Does paint count as a tangible item? Can I pay someone to landscape, even if they purchase new supplies to complete the job? Should I just wait until 2011 and use this year to plan and find the best deals? Or, do I blatantly cheat and have Brian pay for everything?

When Courtney and I set down the rules for this project, we knew there would be gray areas like this that would need more contemplation. (I just didn’t think I would come to such a crossroads in the first month!).

So, I turn to you for guidance. What do you think… Does “nothing new for a year” include home improvements?

~Stacey

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new home! I think home improvements are separate. Fixing up a house is a huge job and I applaud anyone who tackles that project! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that home improvements do count as something new because being able to improve on your home is a luxury, not a necessity (and, per the rules it brings something new into your home). I think you can get a little bit creative on this one, Stacey. I bet you could find paint that friends and family have left over from paint jobs they've done in the past. You could cut down your own trees for the wood? And I think landscaping is a sticky one because plants don't technically come "new." You might be able to slide by on that one.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well ... I think it doesn't count as stuff ... technically. Repairs are not new ... but hmm... services don't count either ... sticky one here.

    I think your house layout is probably similar to mine, BTW.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacey, I've been contemplating this all week!

    I think you can buy used stuff and that won't count.

    I would check Craigslist and the Penny Saver for used house stuff. When my family moved into an old house, my mom sold all the kitchen cabinets in the pennysaver. They were in decent condition, just not what she wanted. Also, Construction Junction has some great deals on stuff.

    ReplyDelete