Friday, January 1, 2010

And so, we begin!

So, here we go! But before we begin, I'd like to explain how this really started. Two years ago, about this time of year, I asked my yoga teacher Vytas if he had any New Year resolutions.

"Oh, sure," he began. "I'm not going to buy anything new this year."

'Are you crazy??' I thought. 'But we need stuff!'

But do we really? I began thinking about it. And this is what I came up with:
We need food, shelter, and sleep. Maybe a friend or two. And that's really it.

Last year, I noticed a change in my habits. The economy had something to do with it, but a lot of it came from asking myself why I wanted to buy this thing I didn't need or this shirt that I'd wear once and forget about. I began to love the hunt of finding stuff at the thrift store. I started buying more things used. I liked the idea that I was making use of things that were already in our consumer cycle.

But mostly, I found that the less stuff I accumulated, the more complete my life felt. I didn't miss anything that I had thought about buying.

So this year, I'm going balls out. I'm making a plan to not buy anything new. The point is not to challenge myself, but to live more simply. I think. :)

Wish me luck!
Courtney



4 comments:

  1. Great idea! I always use my local freecycle before buying anything. It's been a GREAT source for a really good digital camera for my son, free apples (I made delicious applesauce and apple syrup and used them as gifts), free sour plums for preserves, left-over gourds and pumpkins, and my latest, free oranges and tangerines. I canned tangerine marmalade this morning!

    Oh, did I mention WONDERFUL holiday wrapping paper that was still unused in the package?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your blog posted on Karen's Facebook & had to read it (ok, so I am avoiding work too). I am impressed with your gpals, & ditto what Karen said about Freecycle. I even use it here in Las Vegas. If we can use it here in Sin City, you probably can too. Their main web site is at:
    http://www.freecycle.org/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. Thanks for introducing me to something new...well not something new new, but something I didn't know about. :) I've already learned so much in a day and a half! - Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. are concert tickets considered new? shame if they are.

    ReplyDelete