Thursday, July 1, 2010

Souvenirs

I recently returned from a week in Tulum, Mexico where I participated in an advanced yoga teacher training with Amazing Yoga. The trip and training were utterly fulfilling and a much needed refresher for my body, mind, & soul.

And since I’ve saved so much money this year (thanks to this project) I splurged by paying the extra cash needed to upgrade to a single room and treated myself to TWO massages… which were divine!

But, I digress – I’m not writing this post to brag about my trip or convince you to sign up for the next Amazing Yoga Teacher Training (although you should at least consider it, because it’s, well, amazing!) – I’m writing because of what I didn’t do while I was in Mexico…

I didn’t shop.

Not for myself. Not for Brian. Not for Courtney. Not even for my Mom.

I’m not sure about you, but usually when I travel I spend at lot of time and energy seeking out and bargaining for souvenirs. Mementos that remind me of my adventures and tokens to share with those I love. But this year, since I’m unable to purchase new items (and the idea of a “used souvenir” is extremely unappealing) I took myself out of the game.

No second looks at the tchotchkes in the airport, no haggling with street vendors, no frustration when I realize I can’t properly repack my bags for the flight home.

This process proved to be literally and figuratively freeing. I was able to enjoy my trip without the preoccupation of finding the perfect gift and with the time I saved I spent a few extra hours in the ocean.

And the best part: my suitcase closed without any problems.

I think I might just stick with the no souvenir policy after this year of nothing new comes to an end. (Sorry Mom!)

~Stacey

2 comments:

  1. Hey as long as I still get to reap the benefits of "not new" souvenirs that "pack well" specifically low plank on your forearms with one leg lifted.. I'm all for it sister! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stace- I love this. I was thinking about that recently. How we spend so much of our vacations trying to find the best little trinket to bring back to friends or who ever's dog sitting for us... And how distracting that is. I remember in Mexico running around all afternoon looking for the 'perfect' gifts for friends.

    And vacation is supposed to be vacation. I'm glad you had one. :) Much love. - Courtney

    ReplyDelete