Friday, July 9, 2010

Asking for Help...Part Two


Look to the left and you'll see my adorable mother and brother who I love dearly. They take such good care of me and I want to give them both a shout out and a thank you.

The last thing I really wanted for my new place (did I mention that I've moved again??) was a router, so I could be wireless. The placement of the ethernet cord is inconveniently by the door and my desk is on the other side of the room and doesn't reach (and it's always good as a writer to have the flexibility to sit and write wherever you please.) So, I was looking at routers online and there were a number of them available used or refurbished. But when I called my brother to ask for his recommendations on what I should be looking for, he informed me that he thought that he and my mom had an extra one at home that they weren't using and I should ask about. I checked in with my mom, and she proceeded to tell me that this was true. I asked if I could have it and she packaged it up and sent it my way.

My mom thought it was great because it wasn't getting any use in the attic. She reminded me that its good to ask for help, something that I am learning to do more and more of in my stubborn independent way of thinking of things. She said that by asking for something, it was helping HER feel needed. Which is a pretty cool thing.

In general, I'm getting much better at asking for help. I've recently asked my friend Cory to help me record voice-overs on his fancy equipment for a performance piece I'm doing. I also asked him for help figuring out why the speakers on my computer weren't working (which he figured out in 2 minutes, and I'd already spent an hour trying to figure out). I've asked my friend Dominic to help me move a couch and hang lights outside. I've even found an editor who I've just met to help me edit a short I wrote. All of this is new territory, but I'm finding people WANT to help. And it feels good. Cause I'm a help-er to my friends. But I'm learning that it really is a cycle. We all need to ask and help each other.

And I'm happy to report that my refurbished iphone is treating me fabulously. :)

-Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment