Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Where Giving Less is Getting More


Rumor has it that Christmas commercials have started to air. And I just saw Christmas tree plants in front of a home improvement store. Already??? Really?

With the kick-off of the holiday season, I realize how different this year will be for me and my gifting. Every year, like most people, I find myself rushing around for gifts, writing cards, and not enjoying any of it because I’m not taking the time to enjoy what the holidays are all about: the people you love. Last year, I even decided to run a Christmas cookie business on the side to make some extra cash. But instead of putting me in the holiday spirit, all the extra baking left me tired and grumpy.

I’ve decided for this year, I’m not going to give many gifts, and if I do, they will be extra thoughtful, homemade, things ticket/event related, or things people can eat/drink during the holiday season. I may even just cook dinners for family and friends over the course of the next couple months as my “gift.” I’m not even going to send out any Christmas cards. Most end up being impersonal and thrown out eventually.

My gift from my mom is my flight home. And I’ve asked to receive nothing else. Because my family is all I really need this time of year.

And Stacey...you hear that? No gifts! Let's just go out for some great dinners when you're visiting in January.

I’m committing myself to truly enjoy the holidays, to enjoy the people I’m with and gifting a present, cheery self.

Here’s to a new holiday season: where giving less is getting more.

-Courtney

1 comment: