Monday, November 29, 2010

Black Friday...Cyber Monday...What will tomorrow be?


Black Friday? Cyber Monday? What is all this?

On Friday, I was reading through my newsfeed on facebook. So many posts were around the exhaustion and excitement of Black Friday shopping and deals. I was relieved not to be a part of any of it, sitting on my couch with coffee and a good book. (And well rested at that since I didn't wake up at 4 a.m. to stampede the malls when they opened.)

I wonder if people would buy these cheap electronics, luggage, and sweaters if it wasn't for the hype or low prices? And when do you have enough? It seems to me the more you buy and stock up on, the more parts and batteries you'll need for the electronics, the more pants you'll need to match the shirts you bought...its like a never-ending addiction that never leaves you satisfied.

The same goes to show for tv. How many channels are on cable now? 300-something? And with more channels, we find there's even less to watch. The more DVDs we own, the less we seem to be able to figure out what to put in the DVD player. The more songs we have on our iPods, the less we have any idea what to listen to. It becomes about the quest to figure out what to play and not about what you put on.

I grew up thinking that more at a lower price was better. But in the last year, my thought patterns have changed. Now, instead of buying 3 bottles of cheap wine, I purchase one bottle of good wine. So I'm drinking less, but when I am drinking, I enjoy the craft of what it is I'm consuming.

Another thing to note: I decided my next writing project will be a full length play. I thought it would be in my best interest to read the last few years of Pulitzer prize winning plays to see what's being acclaimed as the great theater of today. My impulse was to go on to amazon and buy 10 or so plays (used). So, I did. I was about to check out, when I thought, "You should check the library." And I realized I was able to borrow them all from my local library. At no cost. What a true value that is!

-Courtney

1 comment: