Saturday, April 17, 2010

Living with a Piece of Hollywood.





I'm finding that there are so many things I wouldn't have discovered had it not been for a Year of Nothing New. When Mike and I moved in together, we only had a bed, a sofa, and a dresser. Our roommates from our previous house had supplied all the other furniture needed. Mike and I figured we'd just pick up the other things we needed: a kitchen table, a coffee table, a rug, and a desk at thrift stores or on craigslist.

So, I was trying to find a rug on craigslist, and I saw a posting for a gently used "rug sale" and thought I'd go check it out. I google mapped the sale location and showed up the next day to 20th Century Props in North Hollywood. That's right. A prop house where film and tv shows go to rent items. "Cool!" I thought.

Sadly, the prop house is closing at the end of April because business has been bad since the writer's strike. Amazingly, for me however, everything is on sale and open to the public for purchase. The gentleman at the desk had me sign in and gave me a clipboard to write down whatever I was interested in, which would be priced later on. Basically, you just write the number code on the item's tag and take it back to the office and they price everything for you.

I took the clipboard and I entered the store room: Rugs. Tables. Beauty Parlor Chairs. Taxidermy. Lanterns. Bathtubs. Hardware. Chairs. Umbrella holders. Etc. Etc. There was even a row of old telephones (most of which I was informed still work.) I took a very long list back to the front office and walked out with a really cool 1950's kitchen table, rug, and some awesome bookends. I had wanted even more, but these prices were a bit higher than my local thrift store.

I never would have known a place like this existed and I'm becoming much more aware of what's out there. Who wants a boring table from Ikea when you can get a piece of Hollywood??

-Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment