Sunday, February 28, 2010

Shopping as a Necessity, Not a Sport


My relationship to food and shopping for food has become much more meaningful since I've not been shopping for other items. I wake up early each Sunday and make my way to the local farmer's market, where I stock up on salad mix, oranges, fish, and herbs. I take time when I'm there. I see the vibrancy of colors and smells and really enjoy the process of speaking with the farmers who have grown my food. I think, in a way, it has replaced my hobby of shopping for sport. Because it's still shopping, but it's shopping out of necessity. Which has both a value and a purpose.

Mike and I reap the benefits for the rest of the week. Each night as I cook, I revisit what I've purchased and it nourishes and gives our bodies the energy we need. Much more so than a stupid sweater or hat.

-Courtney

3 comments: