Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Finding Meaning in Meaningful Things, not Material


So, I haven't written for a week or so. Not because I've lost interest or focus. Not because I cheated and couldn't face you all. I've been taking this week to observe something and not be so quick to judge it. I wanted to think about the WHY's of our purchasing habits and here's what I came up with:

Why do we buy? Well, I think we buy things to fill empty parts of our homes and selves. I think we often feel the need for a quick fix, something to ease our anxieties, sadness, boredom, happiness...really a variety of emotions we may not even realize that we are experiencing. We buy things when we want to celebrate something good that's happened. We buy things to fill up time. To cover up. To clutter up. To add to our lives because we think that having games, clothes, gadgets, and things mean something or add to our worth as people.

What happens when we stop buying? We have more space for love and the people in our lives. We have less to worry about and maintain. We know ourselves better because we have less to be distracted with. We learn to make more of the things we do have and with that, comes gratitude and worth. We have more time. We feel cleaner. We feel expansive.

At least I do.

Now, I know I'm just a month in, but this month has deeply impacted my habits and life choices. I think this may end up being a life choice, not just a choice for this year. I like what I get when I'm not getting.

-Courtney

2 comments:

  1. Hi, great blog and idea... but, I have a question for you to think about. I, too, am not much of a consumer - any time not just for a year - and I've always thought more people should do this. However, lately I've begun to really think this through much deeper. Have you ever considered what impact on us as a country and the trickle down to the rest of the world it would have if everyone did cut back completely or even just majorly? At first it seems like a positive and healthy change, until you begin to really think about the impact. It is almost civilization shattering. I wish it weren't so, and I still choose to consuem as little as possible... but if there weren't people busy keeping up with the lastest fashions, gadgets, and junk like dollar store items we would not be able to live the way we do, or even have a choice in the matter. Something to think about, best of luck from a fellow Pittsburgher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Dominic. Thanks for your comment. I appreciate your thoughts. Have you ever read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn? I don't want to say too much about it, but I would encourage you to read it if you haven't. He talks a lot about Mother Culture, the cuture WE have created by the ways WE'VE chosen to live. It would be amazingly impactive if everyone changed their consumption habits, even just a little. When you say that we might not be able to live the way that we do, you are absolutely right, and I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. We may just have to reprogram the way we see success and civilization, but by doing so, we might get back to the things that really matter and have a lot more time to enjoy our lives and friends. Thanks for reaching out. - Courtney

    ReplyDelete