Friday, March 12, 2010

Now It Really Sucks!

Our vacuum died.

Actually it choked, smoked, and then it died.

As owners of a long-haired Shih Tzu, having a working vacuum is not an option, it is an absolute necessity. So, when our 2-year-old Hoover Uh70085 Pet Cyclonic bit the dust, Brian was ready to head to Best Buy that day for a replacement.

But I asked him to give me one week to attempt to repair it.

First, I tried to fix the contraption myself. But even with the help of an interactive “how-to” website the effort ended in a pile of parts and a cloud of dust.

Then, I found Herbert.

Herbert Matthie is the proprietor of H. Mattie Repairs located at 1828 West Liberty Avenue. Stepping into his modest storefront was like stepping into a simpler time. The 200 square foot space was filled (literally) to the ceiling with vacuums and sewing machines and as soon as Herbert came around the corner to greet me, I knew he was going to bring my Hoover back from the dead. His warm eyes took one look at me and my half-dissected machine and, holding back a chuckle, asked, “So, you need some help with that thing, ah?” He asked for my name and number and gave me a paper claim ticket. Then he sent me on my way.

A few days later, Herbert called to tell me the vacuum was fixed and reminded me of his “cash only” policy. After stopping at the ATM, I returned to his quaint shop and retrieved my like-new vacuum.

The thing that amazes me about this whole ordeal isn’t that it has a happy ending, but that before this project I would have hopped into that car with Brian and bought a new vacuum at Best Buy without even a half-hearted attempt to repair the old one. (To be completely honest, it never even crossed my mind that someone like Herbert and his store existed, let alone in my own backyard.) I am thankful for this gift of insight– for the opportunity to look at things differently and find new solutions.

~Stacey

2 comments:

  1. I love this and am so so proud of your new way of thinking! Who knew? :)
    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. just stumbled upon your blog. love it! way more inspirational than my vow of "I will purchase no new clothes til May 1st". My Clause - NEW includes used/vintage; excludes what my fashionable husband might buy me.

    adding your blog link to 210daysofmeditation.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete