Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Documenting What's Really Important


I'm working on a documentary and with it, like all good artistic projects for me, comes a lot of reflection.

The documentary is on my ex-guy's band, and my thesis is: What does it means to be in a band before anyone really knows who you are? Why do you believe in it and stick with it year after year? What does it mean to commit to a group of people and project? What does success mean and when will you know you've reached it?

I've been thinking a lot about what makes us do the things we do: with projects, with people, with work, with anything that we commit to...

Watching tape after tape of this band...of their family and friends...of my observance and interviews...I can't help but think of how much fun it is...how much love there is for the art and the work and the relationships...and how I've captured a lot of great footage on a rinky dink camera that I borrowed from a friend. Its intimate, its real...things I don't think I would have achieved if I had gone out and bought or even rented a nice HD camera. What I have instead is something real that I think a lot of people will appreciate. And I've not spend much money on it, or bought any large props for it...but I've spent time and love and thought. And those are always worth more to me at the end of the day.

-Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment